Family Status Change: The 2-Step Process
What Life Events Qualify As A Family Status Change?
Loss of Coverage - Employee, Spouse or Dependent Child
Gain Other Coverage - Employee, Spouse or Dependent Child
Court Ordered Dependent Child
Termination of Domestic Partnership (Same Gender)
Dependent Child No Longer Eligible
Death of a Covered Dependent
Change in Dependent Day Care Fees
The 2 -Step Process
If you experience a family status change, you must update your health benefits
enrollment status online by
logging onto BOSS at www.baltimorecity.essbenefits.com and submitting the
required documentation to
Employee Benefits within 60 days from the date of the change. For example, if
your family status change
is the birth of a child, then the date of the qualifying event is your child’s
date of birth. You will have 60
days from the date to make changes online and submit the child’s birth
certificate to Employee Benefits
· Log onto BOSS using your social security number and your 4-digit PIN.
· When you reach the Main Menu, click on menu option “Family Status Change”.
· Enter the 8-digit date of your family status change.
· Choose your family change event from the drop down box and click continue.
· Then follow the prompts to enroll or remove dependents for each benefit plan.
· Be sure to click “Submit” to save your changes and print your confirmation.
Once you have made your changes online, you must submit support documentation to
within 60 days from the date of your family status change. Please refer to the
Required Documentation Form
posted on the website by clicking on the FORMS LIBRARY link.
If you do not make your benefit changes online and submit the required
documentation to Employee
Benefits Division within 60 days of your family status change, you will have to
wait until the next annual
open enrollment period to make your benefit changes.
Employee Benefits Division
201 E. Baltimore Street - Suite 500
Baltimore, MD 21202 - (410) 396-5830